Tuesday, 10 November 2009

The dress

My little girl has been invited to a party on Saturday night. When I say my little girl, I mean my 17 year old little girl. You know what they're like at that age, they know everything and more. Well, she decided she wanted to go to the party, which is fancy dress by the way, as the 101 Dalmatians - all 101 of them!
Now, she had this idea that she would make a dress, like the one in the picture. She went off to the material shop and bought some Dalmatian print fury fabric, hmmm! Not the best choice maybe. She didn't really think this through as we have a very old sewing machine that doesn't work and she didn't think to buy a pattern.
I thought the project was doomed from the start, but darling daughter wasn't so pessimistic. She found something on the Internet which had a picture of pattern pieces for said dress and I found her with the material spread out on the kitchen floor with pencil marks all over it. Well, she went ahead and cut out the dress pieces and over the last two evenings she has painstakingly sewn, the dress, by hand.
It's not perfect, and we've had a giggle over some of the stitching, but it's done. And I think it looks pretty good. By the way, her friend Beth had made her costume too. Shes a bird.
So, what do I know?

12 comments:

Deb said...

that's pretty amazing she was able to do that with a minimal pattern! WTG!!

Angela2932 said...

Oh, yes, with my daughter, now 21, I learned that she was actually always right! Your daughter is very creative!

sharyncarlson said...

Cheers to finishing the dress! Great photo :)

Joanne said...

I think they look fantastic. hope they enjoy the party.

Kathy M said...

Great job!

Meg said...

My goodness, she did so well! They both look great!

Maya said...

She did a great job! What a great picture!

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Did she have prior sewing experience? I've made two garments with patterns and there was a lot of swearing involved. Congrats to your daughter!

Julia Dunnit said...

Console yourself Jay, she only persevered to make you look wrong! It's fab, she did a great job. I couldn't have done it wihtout a pattern. Or swearing.

Mary B said...

wow clever DD indeed love the dress love the look love the pose Great photo to scrap

Cat said...

Great photo - clever girlies!!

Kim said...

my middle child will be 18 next month. She thinks she is all grown up...
I can't wait for college to smack that thought from her head! lol